UPDATE Summer 2023: Peloton still has NOW made its rowing content available on the Peloton App. Yay! But the app price doubled Boo!!!
UPDATE 2022: It finally happened! Peloton has finally launched its rowing machine! After the delays caused by the pandemic, they’ve finally done it. Hooray!! But it costs more than a treadmill. Booo!!! I’ve reviewed some cheaper options below.
The Specs: Like the Bike and the Tread, the Peloton Rower has the same type of touchscreen and will offer classes taught by instructors both in the studio and on the water. Unlike when the Peloton bike first came on the scene, this time Peloton will face some competition with other connected rowing machines already on the market.
- Compact 8′ x 2′ footprint
- Electronically controlled resistance for quiet, perfectly smooth stroke feel
- 23.8″ HD swiveling touchscreen for seamless transitions on and off the mat
- Folding arm for compact upright storage
- Studio-quality sound with front-and rear-facing speakers
- Form Assist highlights ways you can improve your form, so you get better in real time
- Use Form Rating and Insights to track your progress and view your performance
- Access to thousands of classes beyond rowing like strength, yoga, meditation, and more
- See in-class metrics like stroke rate, pace, output, and distance
- Work out alongside other Members and friends on the Leaderboard
The release of the Peloton Rower is not a shock because as I reported just before the pandemic Peloton acquired Tonic Fitness Technology, a company that has been manufacturing Peloton’s high-tech spin bikes for a bunch of years. And Tonic had filed a patent application for a high-tech indoor rowing machine with the U.S. Patent Office.
Piecing that all together…