UPDATE Summer 2023: Peloton still has NOW made its rowing content available on the Peloton App. Yay! But the app price doubled Boo!!!
UPDATE 2022: It finally happened! Peloton has finally launched its rowing machine! After the delays caused by the pandemic, they’ve finally done it. Hooray!! But it costs more than a treadmill. Booo!!! I’ve reviewed some cheaper options below.
The Specs: Like the Bike and the Tread, the Peloton Rower has the same type of touchscreen and will offer classes taught by instructors both in the studio and on the water. Unlike when the Peloton bike first came on the scene, this time Peloton will face some competition with other connected rowing machines already on the market.
- Compact 8′ x 2′ footprint
- Electronically controlled resistance for quiet, perfectly smooth stroke feel
- 23.8″ HD swiveling touchscreen for seamless transitions on and off the mat
- Folding arm for compact upright storage
- Studio-quality sound with front-and rear-facing speakers
- Form Assist highlights ways you can improve your form, so you get better in real time
- Use Form Rating and Insights to track your progress and view your performance
- Access to thousands of classes beyond rowing like strength, yoga, meditation, and more
- See in-class metrics like stroke rate, pace, output, and distance
- Work out alongside other Members and friends on the Leaderboard
The release of the Peloton Rower is not a shock because as I reported just before the pandemic Peloton acquired Tonic Fitness Technology, a company that has been manufacturing Peloton’s high-tech spin bikes for a bunch of years. And Tonic had filed a patent application for a high-tech indoor rowing machine with the U.S. Patent Office.
Piecing that all together…
- Peloton owns Tonic;
- Tonic filed a patent application (see below) for an indoor rower;
- Peloton owns all of Tonic’s technology, including its rower patent; and
- Therefore, it only seems natural that a Peloton Rower is the next big step for the company!
- And now it’s finally happening!
A Peloton Rower would be a great complement to the Peloton Bike and the Peloton Treadmill. And of course, so long ad you can access all of the rowing classes from the Peloton App while using your own rower (like you can using your own bike and treadmill with the app), it would be an amazing addition to your at home workout.
Peloton’s new CEO after the last got the sack has mentioned that an extension to the product line is the company’s No. 1 priority. He went on to say that “Peloton is a connected fitness company, not a bike company.” While that’s great, we have only seen the Bike and Tread released and their stock price has dropped 85% in the past year. Time to launch some new equipment!
A couple of my close friends are heavy into rowing and have this Concept 2 Rower at home and they love to access Peloton rowing content. This picture doesn’t really do it justice – I suggest clicking on the link to see the angles. I’ve tried it and it is a really good workout. In fact, I tried it again last night in a hotel and it’s awesome! There is a clip that holds your phone or iPad if you want to follow a n online class
If you are tight on space, Sunny sells folding rowing machines:
One of the benefits of getting a universal rower like this is that you can use the machine with any exercise platform; however Peloton rowing classes are not available on the app just yet. The Peloton Rower will be limited to Peloton content much like a Peloton bike. As see this as a bit of a disadvantage, especially as Apple Fitness+ has launched and it includes awesome rowing classes, in addition to spin, run, HIIT, core, yoga, etc. I am loving all of their classes so far. I like it so much I started an AF+ Facebook Group and I wrote a post about how Apple Fitness+ compares to Peloton. You can see it here: The Battle of the Fitness Apps – Peloton vs Apple Fitness+ I think it’s time for me to get that Concept 2 Rower!
Here is the Tonic patent application:
Row, row, row your Peloton App…
Disclaimer: My Sipping & Shopping blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If you are here looking to learn how to use the Peloton App with your own bike, check out my original blog post!