After several years in business, a BIG shakeup in management and in an effort to rekindle the sales magic that it had during the pandemic, Peloton has finally started selling bikes, clothes and accessories on Amazon. Can the bras and tights be any cuter?
UPDATE 2022: It finally happened! Peloton has finally launched its rowing machine! After the delays caused by the pandemic, they’ve finally done it. Hooray!! But it costs more than a treadmill. Booo!!! I’ve reviewed some cheaper options below.
The Specs: Like the Bike and the Tread, the Peloton Rower has the same type of touchscreen and will offer classes taught by instructors both in the studio and on the water. Unlike when the Peloton bike first came on the scene, this time Peloton will face some competition with other connected rowing machines already on the market.
- Compact 8′ x 2′ footprint
- Electronically controlled resistance for quiet, perfectly smooth stroke feel
- 23.8″ HD swiveling touchscreen for seamless transitions on and off the mat
- Folding arm for compact upright storage
- Studio-quality sound with front-and rear-facing speakers
- Form Assist highlights ways you can improve your form, so you get better in real time
- Use Form Rating and Insights to track your progress and view your performance
- Access to thousands of classes beyond rowing like strength, yoga, meditation, and more
- See in-class metrics like stroke rate, pace, output, and distance
- Work out alongside other Members and friends on the Leaderboard
The release of the Peloton Rower is not a shock because as I reported just before the pandemic Peloton acquired Tonic Fitness Technology, a company that has been manufacturing Peloton’s high-tech spin bikes for a bunch of years. And Tonic had filed a patent application for a high-tech indoor rowing machine with the U.S. Patent Office.
Piecing that all together…
- Is there anything similar to the Wahoo cadence sensor that will measure resistance?
- Should I buy these power pedals? (tip, these pedals are expensive but if you put them in your Amazon cart you will receive a notification when they run their flash sales where you can sometimes save up to 75%)
- How do I convert Peloton resistance when using my own bike with the Peloton App (conversion charts below).
- Is knowing your resistance worth the extra money to buy the Peloton bike?
- How do I measure resistance on my Sunny?
- How do I convert Peloton resistance to my Sunny, Keiser M3i, Echelon or NordicTrack?
- Why didn’t you just buy a Peloton?
My answer is always the same. Let go of not knowing. Work hard. Get sweaty. Let your fitness do the talking (and BUY THIS disco ball to bring some excitement to your workouts!). I chalk it up to FOMO (fear of missing out). But if you absolutely, positively need to know your Peloton resistance, I have some advice with several resistance charts at the bottom:
What works for me?
My Peloton Bike Hack! How I saved $2,400 by using the Peloton App with a less expensive bike! Learn how…
Are you considering getting your significant other a Peloton exercise bike for Valentine’s Day? What a great idea! While prices are down for first-generation Pelotons, there are still other options to consider.
And if you are reading my blog, you are probably looking for a cheaper alternative to the Peloton. I get it – you may not be able to afford to buy a Peloton bike and/or want to pay its $39 monthly fee. I didn’t want to, that is for sure. That is where the genius of their Peloton App comes into play. For only $12.99 per month, you can access all of the same live and on-demand classes on your own bike. Brilliant. There are a bunch of other bikes out there that can be paired with the Peloton App. I tried a bunch before I bought my Sunny and here is what I found.
I just streamed my first Peloton class today from their new London studio with UK based instructor Leanne Hainsby! She is super energetic, I love the accent and she is serious competition to knock Emma Lovewell, my current favorite Peloton instructor, out of the No. 1 spot. She also left me drenched in sweat. I look forward to taking many more classes with Leanne. This is all virtual, of course, I did not hop on a plane to Peloton’s London studio, although that would be nice. 🙂
I also just learned that Peloton will be opening a studio in Australia post-pandemic! I cannot wait to meet the new instructors.
How much does the Peloton App cost? Boy, I get this question a lot.
While I’ve included some pictures to my earlier posts, I thought it would be helpful to add a few videos of me on my Sunny 1509.
Very exciting news! I got my 1st shout-out from Miss Ally Love during my 250th ride with the Peloton App. I normally only take on-demand classes but with such a milestone, I rolled the dice, crossed my fingers and took a live class hoping to hear my screen name.
Half-way through the class, I was delighted to hear Ally exclaim, “MomJeans1973. 250th on the App. What’s up?!”